Friday, March 23, 2018

A Liberal’s Gratitude for Trump

     I’m a liberal and I’m grateful for Trump. No, you don’t need to adjust your computer screen – you read that correctly.  But hear me out!  Along with many of my liberal counterparts, I was truly horrified at the reality of Trump being elected president in November of 2016.  Not unlike the proverbial Chicken Little, I believed the sky was falling.  Just about everything I valued about this country, our government, and the office of the presidency was being challenged by this man who I wouldn’t trust to pet sit for me over a weekend, let alone run our country.

     But this is where the Chicken Little lesson comes in.  The sky hasn’t fallen, and life as I know it hasn’t ended.  No, I haven’t changed my opinion of the man called Trump, and no, I haven’t softened to his behaviors, his bravado, or his policies. What HAS happened though is that I’ve been gloriously surprised by the tenacity and vigor of the American public.  Trump has catalyzed many of us, and that catalyzation has resulted in some amazing movements in this country.

     The “Me Too” movement is an excellent example of that.  While sexual harassment and sexual abuse are nothing new in this country, Trump’s cavalier treatment of women and disregard of sexual harassment laws has ignited a fire among women the likes of which we have never seen before.  The power shift is monumental.  And it isn’t over yet as women are stepping forward in record numbers to not only say “Me Too” but to also rewrite the power balance in politics by throwing their hats into the ring in much higher numbers than we’ve seen in the past.  According to Charlotte Alter in her Time Magazine article, “There is an unprecedented surge of first-time female candidates, overwhelmingly Democratic, running for offices big and small, from the U.S. Senate and state legislatures to local school boards.  Had it not been for Trump’s bad behavior and open misogyny, this dramatic change may never have taken place.  For this, I’m grateful for Trump.

     Similar shifts are happening in other areas as well, including immigration, race relations, and LGBTQ rights.  A good portion of the American electorate is on fire about these issues and having heated debates about policies and governmental positions that a good many of us ignored in the past.  Trump has ignited outrage, and that outrage has resulted in a flooding of interest and discourse that will ultimately lead to a better informed, and more INVOLVED, electorate.  For this, I’m grateful for Trump.

     So while I must grin and bear the current Trump presidency, I am uplifted by how Trump has catalyzed so many in this great country of ours, and I’m hopeful for how this catalyzation will change the face of our nation in 2018 and 2020.  For that, I’m truly grateful for Trump.
               





2 comments:

Julie Morales said...

Krista,

I could not agree with you more on your reasoning behind being grateful for President Trump. In your article, A Liberals Gratitude For Trump, you stated that you were grateful for the tenacity and vigor that the American people have shown since President Trump has been in office. I am conservative but that does not mean that I condone the numerous horrifying statements and actions of our President and completely see how you are grateful for him. I too, applaud those who are standing up for what they believe in and trying to make our society ethically right.



With the #MeToo movement, women are now being able to have a voice in sexual misconduct in and out of the workplace. This movement is a huge milestone for all women and our place in society. Those who were once afraid to say something due to retaliation and loss of a job are now able to stand up for themselves and fight for what is right. For this, I too, am grateful for President Trump.



With primaries being over in Texas, we saw literal record breaking numbers in the number of Democrats who voted. Those who believe that we need change in our city, state, and country are coming out in ginormous waves of support. You also mentioned that now we are seeing shifts in the political power balance. We did see huge amounts of first-time female candidates and I cannot express how great that makes me feel. I agree with you in being grateful for President Trump.



Overall, you and I may not see eye-to-eye on policies and that's okay. But I can honestly say that I agree with you. I agree with you that with President Trump being in office, he has affected millions in our country of all ages to stand up for what they believe in.

The Sweet (and not so sweet) Sides of America said...

This is an interesting perspective, Krista.

I, too, am more liberal than conservative. I have been struggling with Trump's presidency since the beginning. I had never really thought about the positive effects that have resulted from our president's negative actions. Many articles that overflow the current media are negative views towards Trump, or, a defense of Trump's inappropriate choices. This view opened me up to a different perspective than before.

I enjoyed that you included examples of ways this is shown through LBGTQ, immigration, race relations, and sexual harassment within females. Coming from a past filled with a mother who is gay, a sister who is gay, and sexual harassment, I had lost all hope for the progression of freedom within these realms of just being a woman and also being apart of an LBGTQ family. I had not come across articles that talked about the progression of women through Trump's current downfalls - and - does the media at this point REALLY want us to see them? (who knows)

However, I appreciate your different perspective through the eyes of a fellow liberal and your openness and desire for the progression of women. I believe that women should stand up to the current system and stand for the rights that we deserve.
Again, thank you for a great perspective!